10 Ways to Make Your Employees Feel Valued When You Can't Offer a Raise

For many employees, feeling valued and appreciated at work is just as important as the amount of money they make anyway. In fact, only 21% of employees feel strongly valued at their work. That leaves a whopping 79% of employees who feel only marginally valued or not valued at all in their contributions to a company, according to Engagement Report.

5 Best Ways to Praise Employees

Think your "Employee of the Month" program is a great way to recognize performance? Think again. Praising an employee should: Boost their confidence and self esteem, and Reinforce positive behaviors, and Reward their effort and accomplishment, and Build their motivation and enthusiasm...

5 Ways to Focus Your Energy During a Work Crunch

Work invariably ebbs and flows, cycling between steady states, where we feel more in control of the pace and workload, and peak periods, where the work crunch hits us hard. Unexpected setbacks, project sprints, or even vacations and holidays can create mayhem and tension. Maintaining focus and managing energy levels become critical as tasks pile onto an already full load. When you’re in your next work crunch, there are a few things you can do to focus and manage your energy more productively:

3 Business Benefits of Setting and Aligning Organizational Goals

If your company is like many other small and mid-sized businesses, your employees represent both your organization's biggest line item expense and your most valuable asset. This means your company's productivity and its profitability depend on making sure all of your workers perform up to their full potential.

5 Coaching Skills That Every Manager Needs to Have

Whether you’re a manager trying to develop your people or trying develop yourself and build a career, you need to know that one of the key ways you can have a positive impact on the business is by operating more as a “Coach” than a “Manager.”

5 Ways to Lead in an Era of Constant Change

Who says change needs to be hard? Organizational change expert Jim Hemerling thinks adapting your business in today's constantly-evolving world can be invigorating instead of exhausting. He outlines five imperatives, centered around putting people first, for turning company reorganization into an empowering, energizing task for all.

4 Simple Ways to Make Your Employees Feel Valued

Imagine a job where your work isn’t appreciated, your effort goes unnoticed, and you could be replaced in an instant. Not exactly a place you’d want to stay for very long, is it? As a manager, this isn’t the type of environment you want to encourage—not if you want your employees to stick around, that is. So, one of your most important responsibilities is making your employees feel truly valued, letting them know that without them, your company, your department—and frankly, you—would be worse off.

5 Coaching Skills That every Manager Needs to Have

Whether you’re a manager trying to develop your people or trying develop yourself and build a career, you need to know that one of the key ways you can have a positive impact on the business is by operating more as a “Coach” than a “Manager.”

5 ways managers fail at delegating

Delegating effectively is one of the most important things you can do as a manager, and it's also one of the most difficult. Here are some of the most common ways managers fail at delegating: 1. Delegating without making sure that you and the other person are on the same page. Managers often forget to make sure they and their staffs agree about what a successful outcome would look like and then are surprised when the final work product isn’t what they were expecting.

4 Types of Difficult Co-workers and How to Deal With Them Without Losing Your Mind

Everyone wants to work in a friendly and productive environment, but sometimes even one bad co-worker can make getting your job done seem near impossible. Psychologist Amy Cooper Hakim, an expert on employer-employee relationships, says this is a problem many people face.

5 Powerful Ways to Help Your Employees Cope With Change

Mergers, buy-outs, downsizing: These are just a few of the ways in which companies can transform literally overnight. While these moves often help a company remain competitive, they also result in profound changes to organizational structure or other disruptions to the status quo. Helping your employees overcome the anxiety that comes along with such changes can be very challenging.

6 Surprisingly Powerful Ways To Use Employee Titles

You may have heard the recent news that Tony Hsieh has ditched a traditional organization structure at Zappos in favor of a "Holacracy." Everyone at Zappos is now characterized as a "partner" working within one of 400 "circles." Personally, I'm not sure I get the Holacracy movement but it does bring up an interesting question: how are you using employee titles as a way to compete for talent and customers?

arrow&v